Congressman Marchant Launches Student Summer Leadership Program, Concludes Successful First Year
Jun 25, 2012 -
Congressman Kenny Marchant (TX-24) hosted a Student Summer Leadership Program from June 20th to 22nd with 20 high school and college students in attendance. The program served to provide students in the 24th District with an experiential learning opportunity to explore topics of intergovernmental affairs, leading with integrity and servant leadership.
“A common thread running through this rising generation is their desire to lead and contribute to their communities through service,” said Congressman Marchant. “We had an exceptional group of students for our first summer leadership program. Each and every one was eager to learn how to use their talents and career aspirations for the betterment of those around them.”
Students learned about the inner workings of a congressional office, hearing from each staff person about his or her role in Congressman Marchant’s Irving office and the Washington, D.C. office by way of video conferencing. The students also attended morning workshops to hear from the following guest speakers on leadership:
- Kevin Richardson, Coppell Fire Chief
- Kyle Leonard, Vice President of Stores for GameStop, headquarted in Grapevine
- John Terrell, Mayor of Southlake
- Gary Greer, City Manager of Farmers Branch
- Anthony Hill, President of Coppell ISD School Board
- Dr. Gene Buinger, Superintendent HEB ISD
- Gary Fickes, Tarrant County Commissioner
- Linda Harper-Brown, State Representative of District 105
- Patty Larson, Denton County Justice of the Peace
- Michael Hogg, Executive Director of Rocky Mountain Therapy Center
Congressman Marchant provided the closing remarks, sharing his history of service in the community and answering questions from the students.
“Our speakers deserve a special thanks for giving their time to take questions and discuss leadership in government and in the private sector,” said Marchant.
If you are a student in the 24th District and interested in attending the Summer Leadership Program next year, please contact Congressman Marchant’s office at (972) 556-0162 and stay tuned for details at: http://www.marchant.house.gov/studentleadership/.
Print version of this document